background

May 14, 2011

Another quick meal...

I know I just posted a recipe, so for those of you that hate to cook-forgive me. But since I was already posting the previous one, I had it on the brain. I do many versions of simple stir-fry at home. This was the one we ate tonight.

Beef Stir Fry

 That was the only picture I took, the one with the ingredients. But this is more of a method suggestion, to be honest. :)

Ingredients:
1 small package (look for something about $3 at Publix and go with it) stir fry meat, usually already sliced into thin strips-it might say "for fajitas" on it
Whatever veggies you have left in the fridge, or:
2-3 stalks celery
3-4 carrots
1 or 1.5 cups snow peas
1 bunch of asparagus
1 green bell pepper (I would've used red if I had one)
broccoli florets
1/2 large yellow onion
ginger (I use fresh when I have it, otherwise pull some out of the spice cabinet)
2-3 cloves garlic (again-fresh or spice cabinet)
vegetable oil
soy sauce
salt and pepper


Begin by heating enough vegetable oil to lightly coat a large preheated skillet. Season the meat with salt, pepper, and a little garlic and ginger. (Even when I'm using the fresh ginger and garlic in the dish, I usually season the meat with the powder stuff in the spice cabinet.) Add the meat to the skillet and cook at medium-high heat, turning once to brown the other side. Remove from skillet and set aside. 
Add veggies to the skillet (feel free to add more oil if you think you need it, just don't go overboard) and allow them to saute until they begin to get tender. I usually add the firmer veggies first, then slowly add the ones that don't take as long to cook. Meanwhile, peel the ginger with a vegetable peeler, or even a tablespoon. Grate it with a microplane or small side of a box grater. You can do the same to the cloves of garlic, or just mince them. Toss these seasonings with the veggies and allow them to cook for a minute or two. Then add a little soy sauce around the pan and cover, cooking for an additional minute. Toss the meat back in and stir. If you prefer your veggies more on the soft side, add a splash of beef broth and return the lid back to the pan and allow it all to steam together. Serve over rice, if you like. We have become rather fond of Brown Jasmine Rice that we get from Trader Joe's. I cook it in beef or chicken broth. Yummy! Enjoy!


-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now its your turn....what are your thoughts?